Re: Argument list too long

On Tue, Dec 23, 2003 at 08:34:17AM +0900, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
| On 2003-12-19 10:53:35 -0500, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
| > On Fri, Dec 19, 2003 at 11:47:32AM +0200, Dobai-Pataky Balint wrote:
| > | i have a webcam logging all motion into jpgs, my php code does lots with
| > | it, except after i convert selected jpgs copied into the workin' folder,
| > | and after conversion i'd like to rm them from php or by hand it'll give:
| > | rm *.jpg
| > | su: /bin/rm: Argument list too long
| >
| > The problem is that the shell has a hard limit on the size (in bytes)
| > of commands.
|
| No, it's a kernel limit, not a shell limit.

Ok.  Close, though :-).

| > Another option, not yet given, is :
| >
| > find . -name \*.jpg | xargs rm
|
| This is potentially dangerous (filenames may contain a \n character).

True.  Even just a space is a problem since xargs will think it
separates two paths.

| If you want to use find and xargs, do it correctly (see other posts).

I agree, if you aren't positive your data is well-formed.  When
working on files I -know- don't contain spaces or other "odd"
characters I often omit the -print0/-0.  If I'm not positive, then i
include them.

-D

--
"640K ought to be enough for anybody" -Bill Gates, 1981