Re: antialised fonts in emacs

Micha Feigin <michf@post.tau.ac.il> writes:

> On Mon, Dec 22, 2003 at 10:33:04PM +1300, Paul William wrote:
>>
>> How can I use antialised fonts in emacs? I am using unstable.

My understanding of the situation is that doing this would entail
modifying Emacs's rendering engine to use something that did
antialiasing.  If I was going to bet, I'd bet that XEmacs successfully
did this before FSF Emacs.  But both Emacsen have historically been
against prebuilt widget kits; the easiest way to get antialiased text
from a programmer's point of view is to build your program as either a
GNOME (2) or KDE program, and Emacs is explicitly neither.

> I am not sure about anti aliased, but try moving the type1 fonts to
> the bottom of the fontpath list in XF86Config and if you have
> truetype fonts move them to the top. Significantly improved my
> situation.

This isn't going to help the problem at all, but I'm kind of curious
why everyone keeps suggesting it.  Is the X Type 1 font renderer
really that terrible?  In my setup I've actually gone out of my way to
use Type 1 fonts and been happy with the results.

	-- Abra Mitchell