Re: photo-quality printer recommendation

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 06:50, Marc Shapiro wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 bob parker <bob_parker@dodo.com.au> wrote:
> >I can't speak highly enough of HP. Their Linux drivers are genuine open
> >source, and they state they are committed to supporting Linux for all of
> >their models of printers. They even retrofit their Linux drivers to their
> >printers from years back. (Contrast that with Canon binaries for Wonders).
>
> Does this apply to only single function printers, and not multi-function
> printers which include things like FAX, scanner, or copier?  The
> multifunction printers are what I keep seeing on the market here.  The
> boxes make no mention of Linux compatibility and I could not find anything
> on their website.  Am I looking in the wrong place?  When I called HP I was
> told that their printers were compatible with Windows and Mac OS.  The tech
> person that I spoke with seemed to imply that there was no compatibility
> with any of their printers and Linux, or at least that he could not tell me
> that there was.  Now, I know that this is not the case, since I am using an
> HP DeskJet 400 with Debian right now, but I don't see any of these newer
> printers mentioned as compatible with Magicfilter, which is what I am
> using. Is there another way to do this that will let me use these newer
> printers? How do I get HP to actually tell me what can work and what does
> not?

For the multi-function stuff, this site:
           http://hpoj.sourceforge.net/
<quote>
HP OfficeJet Linux driver
This is an HP-sponsored project to develop Linux support for most
Hewlett-Packard OfficeJet, PSC, LaserJet, and PhotoSmart printer
multi-function peripherals (MFPs), which depending on the model can print,
scan, copy, fax, and/or access digital camera memory cards.

At this time, printing, scanning, and photo-card access are supported on most
models, when either connected to the parallel port or USB on a Linux (Intel
or Alpha) workstation, or to a LAN with selected HP JetDirect print servers.
</quote>

I cannot help you with magicfilter though, I'm doing all I need to do using
cups.

HTH
Bob Parker