Re: postgres date formatting?

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 at 22:28 GMT, Pablo Aguiar penned:
> On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 20:34:28 -0700 "Monique Y. Herman"
> <spam@bounceswoosh.org> wrote:

>> to_timestamp error.  What am I doing wrong?
>
> You have to tell PostgreSQL the format of the string date you are
> passing to to_timestamp (or to to_date) by parameter.

Ah, shoot.  I think I see the problem now.

I was hoping that to_date would let me take an existing date field and
print it out in some format -- kind of like command-line
`date +formatstring`

Your examples show that my understanding of this function was totally
backward.  Ah well.

> Hope that helps.

It definitely does.  Thank you.

> Please excuse my English.

Nothing to be excused.  Actually, I didn't notice any mistakes at all.

--
monique