Re: xfree86 4.3 installing on unstable

* Paul Johnson (baloo@ursine.ca) [031219 17:57]:
> On Fri, Dec 19, 2003 at 08:45:31AM +0100, Lukas Ruf wrote:
> > is there any way to install xfree 4.3 on my Debian unstable box
> > without switching to experimental?
>
> Experimental is not a full distro, just a slice of packages, AFAIK, so
> the answer is mu.
>
> If you had asked, "Is there a way to install xfree 4.3 on unstable
> without pulling experimental," the answer would be "yes, go download
> the source from xfree86.org and compile it yourself."

depends what you mean by "pulling experimental".  If you want to just
install xserver-xfree86, xfree86-common, xlibs, xlibs-data, from
experimental (without "upgrading" any other packages), this is very
simple.  Just add experimental to sources.list.  Apt never chooses
experimental packages by default unless explicitly told to do so.  So
using "-t experimental" (or better, IMO, explicitly choosing versions in
aptitude), you can pick and choose packages as you please.  No custom
preferences or apt.conf settings needed, and no great danger of being
automatically "upgraded to experimental".

IMO, there's no reason to regard the experimental X packages as any
worse than self-compiled ones -- I'm sure Branden et al can do a far
better job at putting together a decent XFree86 system than I can, and
I'll gladly profit from their hard work rather than trying to duplicate
it.

good times,
Vineet
--