Console/X transfer problems

I think I've seen this problem discussed before, but I don't know how
I'd even query the archives on it.

I'm on Debian stable, version 4.1.0.1 of xserver-xfree86, running a
Trident Cyberblade i/1 video card and a generic monitor. Here's the
problem:

When I'm in X and switch out to a console (Ctrl-Alt-Fx) all is fine.
When I switch from there back to X (Alt-F7), the screen is dark and
after a few seconds, I lose video sync (you can tell because the lights
on the monitor start blinking as through the monitor has no signal to
it). I have to kill X in order to recover. I've tried the frequency
ranges that the monitor's manual indicates. I've tried using the
framebuffer interface. Etc. etc. It seems like I've heard of this
problem before, but I don't recall the solution.

Paul