Re: Start Xserver problem

On Fri, Dec 19, 2003 at 11:43:43PM +0800, Stephen Liu said
> Hi Mark,
>
> I re-ran
>
> #dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86
>
> There was a notice at start
> "This is a pre-release version of XFree86, and is not supported in any
> way.........."
>
> This time I configure PS/2 wheel mouse which was connected to replace
> the USB optical mouse.
>
> I left following items blank without entry
> 1) Please enter the video card's bus identifier

That's ok.

> 2) Please select you keyboard variant

That's silly, give it a correct value.

> 3) Please select your keyboard options

That's silly, give it a correct value.

> # apt-get update
> # apt-get upgrade XFree86

a) read the apt-get manpage, that's not how the "upgrade" subcommand
works.
b) all Debian package names are lower case
c) there's no such package as xfree86 or XFree86.
d) if you're using woody, then there is no newer version of X to upgrade
to.

What are you trying to do here?  Your GeForce2 card will work fine with
the "nv" driver in X 4.1, which woody has.

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org> | mlspam@ertius.org  |  Do I look like I want a CC?
Words of the day:   cybercash Consul S Key ASPIC Vince Foster broadside Fat Man