Re: network install via dialup?

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003, Karsten M. Self wrote:

> on Thu, Dec 18, 2003 at 11:26:37AM -0600, James Miller (jamtat@mailsnare.net) wrote:
> > I'm thinking of recommending Debian to someone who has only a dialin
> > connection to the 'net.  For various reasons, a network install would be
> > the best option for them.
>
> You don't get into the "whys", but I'd be interested.

I'd like to work up some documentation geared toward installing Debian on
older PC's.  I've done a few experiments to see how it goes and prove to
myself it can be done by someone with not a whole lot of experience.  But
I've used broadband each time, whereas the old PC owner who might want to
put Debian on their machine might be expected only to have a dialin
connection. So, I'd like to be able to cover all the bases in the
documentation - in the case of dialin users, documentation starting with a
big warning note: "this is going to take a good, long time (8-16 hrs)."

Thanks, James