Re: how to debug an apt-get error?

On Sat, Dec 20, 2003 at 02:45:04PM -0300, Toshiro wrote:
> I'm running sid, I'm having a problem with the upgrade of kdm, the error just
> says that the postinstallation script return an error (30). This message is
> very cryptic and it's pretty much useless.
>
>  Anybody know if there is a procedure to see what is going on really? I mean,
> I'd like to watch the execution of the postinstall script to see where is
> failing. Is it possible to do that?
>
> Toshiro.

Hi Toshiro,
in /var/lib/dpkg/info
there are files associalted with package installation.
For example:
kdebase-bin has

kdebase-bin.conffiles
kdebase-bin.md5sums
kdebase-bin.list
kdebase-bin.prerm
kdebase-bin.postinst
In this case, kdebase-bin.postinst contains a shell script that is used
for post install events.
I once had a post install prob and could not reinstall or remove the
packaged, so I edite the post install script to solve the problem.
BUT when you look at the script, FIRST try to solve the problem it is
having. :-)
-Kev