how to use external router?

Greetings All,
I am coming to Debian after using SUSE for a couple of years because I want to easily update packages.  I am very used to the YAST program to help setup things.

I have a cable modem and a D-Link 614+ router that work fine in SUSE and WinXP.  I would like to use that on my Debian Box but how do I set up Debian to use my gateway of 192.168.0.1 (D-link router)?  Where do I setup that my eth0 as being 192.168.0.6/255.255.255.0 on my LAN?

Sorry for such newbie questions.  I have poked around the /etc/ directory and even ran an "ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.6 netmask 255.255.255.0 -up at a root command prompt but it returned something like "ifconfig command not recognized."

Any help is much appreciated.

Jeff

Check out the new EudoraMail at
http://www.eudoramail.com