Help with dselect

HI all, I was wondering if i can recover from a
mistake i did using dselect, I was choosing the new
kernel package and when it came up with dependencies i
found some packages i had were removed etc any way i
made some changes and went to the main menu of dselect
and chose install at which point it came up with X
number of packages were going to be removed etc and
installed etc... at that point i wanted to backout and
I chose No, so im back at my main menu.
What I want to do now is revert all my selections and
not go ahead with the new install and want the
selection to go back to normal as it was before I
selected anything.
I tried going into the /var/lib/dpkg directory and
copied over status-old over the status.. that did
remove the selection in dselect however if i choose
install again it still has all the packages there to
remove and add and upgrade as before even thou they
dont showup in the dselect list ..
Is there a way i can get dselect to reread my system
and rebuild the list of whats installed and forget any
packages which might be selected to install??
Please any help would be highly appreciated (im a
relativly new user and dont want to reinstall unless
there is no other option).
thanks
Medi

=====