apple MSWord files

A student has sent me  a paper as an email attachment.  It's an MSWord
document -- which should be fine, since OOo and AbiWord and KWord all
open MS docs -- but it comes from a Mac, I'm assuming a pre-osX mac.
Mutt tells me it's of type:
application/x-macbinary
anyway, I can open the file in OpenOffice, but it's a total mess --
control characters everywhere, illegible garbage top and bottom, no
footnotes.  In fact, it reminds me of the days (pre-enlightenment)
when I used to have trouble moving files between my aged mac and
work's evil Windoze machines.

sooo... I assume the problem is related to endian-issues, or
non-standard ascii coding, or something; but also that the problem
should be solvable.  Is there, then, a general strategy for dealing
with these icky MacOS files?

Help appreciated!  Thanks,

Matt