RE: IP to www

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 15:11:24 -0800, Gruessle wrote:

> From: Kent West [mailto:westk@acu.edu]
>> Gruessle wrote:
>>

>>> I know what my given IP address is. Given by my cable company.
>>> IP 68.68.202.34
>>> Also I have opened up port 80 on my Siemens routers firewall.
>>>

>>> Private IP: 192.168.254.225
>>> Private Port: 80
>>> Type: TCP
>>> Public Port: 80
>>>

>>> But when I enter the 68.68.202.34 ip in a browser it does not
>>> work. What is missing?
>>>

>> Unless I'm wrong (and I've been wrong before -- 1974 I believe it
>> was .
>> . . ), the 68.68.202.34 address is the address of your modem side
>> of your router, not of your LAN side. The modem side won't have a
>> web server. Instead, you need to point your browser to the
>> address of the LAN-side of your router, which is usually semi-
>> firm-coded in, and the initial value should be documented in your
>> router paperwork.
>>
>> But not being a networking guru, I could be totally off the mark.
>>

>> --
>> Kent
>>

> Since 1974, well you wont beable to say that again. I checked my
> extenal IP with http://checkip.dyndns.org/ and it is says "Current
> IP Address: 68.68.202.34 "
>

> Gruessle
> --
> http://VMCLinks.comhttp://GuyScope.com

Kent is actually right... dyndns.org might give that IP address but that's
because routers don't let private addresses like 192.x.x.x to reach out
of the network... That's probably why you're showing the correct IP address,
It just means you will have problems with your network inside. I don't
know what the original thread was about but just confirming Kent still
hasn't been wrong since 1974. :-)

When youre in work look at your internal address with ifconfig (or
ipconfig on windows) and then go to checkip.dyndns.org... it will
show a totally different IP.