Re: '/proc/partitions' does not match '/dev'

Hello

Richard Lyons (<richard@the-place.net>) wrote:

> On Friday 19 December 2003 13:51, Andreas Janssen wrote:
> [...]
>> The reason for this can be that you have devfs enabled in your
>> kernel, but are not using it.
>
> That makes sense.  I noticed a rant about the need for devfs in
> CD-Writing-HOWTO-2.html at linux.org.  Perhaps I should be using it,
> then.  Is it generally a good idea and what do I have to do to
> convert?

I don't use it. You need additional software (the devfsd), you need to
take care that symlinks are created to make the new system compatible
with programs that want to use the old device entries (this seems to be
reasonably preconfigured) and so on. Personally I don't know what
advantage the devfs would give me compared to the normal dev directory.
It may be useful if you want to have / read-only, and you have less
device files in /dev, but that's all I can see.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

--
Andreas Janssen