Re: Web server Partitions - me

whatup alvin,

Alvin Oga said:
>> I think I'm just going to put spare backup disk in the system.
>
> usually simpler to use 1 disk for spare.. as long as everythng
> fit and you dont have to worry about any config errors

>> I have a raid 5 partiton hde,hdf,hdg,hdh.
>> And sometimes hde gets confused and I have to raidhotadd then
>> raidhotadd.
> sounds like hd3 is a dying disk
> 	- do you have "SMART" turned on it ??
> 	- do you check the cables for it ??? make sure it is ata-100
> 	cables instead of the cheap/fat ata-33 cables
>
> you should NOT have to do that ... raidhotremove/raidhotadd...
That disk has 3 seperate raid volumes on it, and only the one raid volume
has problems, the other raid volumes never have problems:
See /proc/mdstat: /dev/hde3 has hte problem....

Personalities : [raid1] [raid5]
md2 : active raid5 hde3[0] hdf3[1] hdg3[2] hdh3[3]
      358339200 blocks level 5, 64k chunk, algorithm 0 [4/4] [UUUU]

md1 : active raid5 hde2[0] hdf2[1] hdg2[2] hdh2[3]
      1536000 blocks level 5, 64k chunk, algorithm 0 [4/4] [UUUU]

md0 : active raid1 hde1[0] hdf1[1] hdg1[2] hdh1[3]
      102208 blocks [3/3] [UUU]

I'm just say hte heck with tuning it, when people complain, I tune.
Until then I just use the default.
Only tuning because I dump a lot of data off this system, so want fast
disk reads.
Just remembered, turn on noatime that should speed it up.

--
--Luke CS Sysadmin, Montana State University-Bozeman