Re: dial-up to ethernet

Thanks again to everybody for their answers.

My /etc/network/interfaces file is:

# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for
ifup(8), ifdown(8)

# The loopback interface
iface lo inet loopback

# The first network card - this entry was created
during the Debian installation
# (network, broadcast and gateway are optional)
iface eth0 inet static
	address 192.168.1.1
	netmask 255.255.255.0
	network 192.168.1.0
	broadcast 192.168.1.255
#	gateway 192.168.1.2

There is no following line like,

# iface eth0 inet dhcp

for me to uncomment, but I don't see any reason
why I couldn't just write one, yes?

If I put that line in and comment out the others,
as suggested, does the kernel rewrite the file
with the info it acquires during bootup; is that the
way it works?

BTW, ifup and ifdown seem to work.

Thanks again to all,

Mike

P.S:  I don't know why gateway is commented
out above, I just noticed it.  I didn't do it.