Re: Start Xserver problem

David Z Maze wrote:

Stephen Liu <satimis@icare.com.hk> writes:

I just finished another clean installation of Debian 3.0 with
net-installer (Sarge) and encountered starting xserver problem

Vedio card - WinFast GeForce2 MX
RAM - 32MB
driver chosen - nv
(--) Chipset GeForce2 MX/MX 400 found
(II) NV(0): Not using default mode "800x600" (insufficient memory for
mode)
(II) NV(0): Not using default mode "1024x768" (insufficient memory for
mode)
(WW) NV(0): Mode pool is empty
(EE) NV(0): No valid modes found

What I take from this: you're using the right driver for your card
("GeForce2 MX" does sound like an NVidia card, and 'nv' would be the
right driver), and the X server finds your card, but doesn't realize
there's memory available.  (1024x768x32bpp would require exactly 3 MB
of memory, which you should easily be able to handle.)  If you look in
/var/log/XFree86.0.log, does it list the amount of memory that's being
detected?  If it's detecting wrong, you might need to add 'VideoRam
32768' in the "Device" section of /etc/X11/XF86Config-4; you also
might be able to specify video memory manually in 'dpkg-reconfigure
xserver-xfree86'.  (And if it asked you "how much memory" and you
answered "32", that would cause this, though that's just speculation.)

I would suggest trying to download some specific nVidia drivers for your card. I have a GeForce4 and it would not work with the pre-compiled 'nv' driver. I first started X with 'vesa' driver, went to nVidia, downloaded driver for linux and installed it into my kernel. You have to change the XF86Config-4 file from driver "vesa" (or whatever you go to work) to "nvidia". You can download drivers from console by ftp to download.nvidia.com

-just my 2cents