Re: Is a hot NIC normal?

On Fri, Dec 19, 2003 at 12:27:07AM -0600, Kent West wrote:
| I've been having lockups lately; definitely hardware (even Knoppix
| locked up).
[...]
| When I laid my hand on the NIC, I was surprised that it was quite
| hot. Not so hot you couldn't hold your palm to it, but anything more
| sensitive than a palm might have been too uncomfortable.
|
| So I'm definitely going to try replacing the NIC when I can scrounge one
| up, but in the meantime, I'd like to ask, "Is such a hot temperature
| normal for a NIC?"

Some heat is normal, as electricitly flows through the circuits,
especially at a high rate.  I've noticed that my (cheap) video card
gets rather warm, but I don't think I've checked the NICs ever.  Come
to think of it, the PCMCIA NIC in my laptop does get hot sometimes
(but hasn't caused me any problems).

Since disconnecting the network "solves" your problem, I'd agree with
your assessment that the NIC is causing your lockups.  While you could
install a better NIC, it's probably a good idea to add some cooling to
the system.  Another fan (blowing out the back of the case) can't
hurt.  Note that 100BaseT uses a 120MHz clock (IIRC), which is faster
than a i486 CPU.

-D

--
If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to
all without finding fault, and it will be given to him.  But when he