Re: console login fails

Patrick Lesslie wrote:

On Fri, Dec 19, 2003 at 02:12:48PM +1100, Patrick Lesslie wrote:
I'm having trouble logging into tty1-tty6.
I get a prompt, put in my username and hit enter, and then
it hangs for 10 seconds without asking for a password,
and brings up another login prompt.

Having done a bit more research, I'm upgrading "util-linux" and the
aptly named "login" to sarge (some things were already there ;).
However apt-get install login fails like this:

Unpacking replacement login ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/login_1%3a4.0.3-12_i386.deb (--unpack):
unable to make backup link of `./bin/login' before installing new version: Operation not permitted
/var/cache/apt/archives/login_1%3a4.0.3-12_i386.deb

I'm root, and I'm not sure why this is failing.

thanks,

Patrick Lesslie

Can you login as a different user? As root?
Are any of your partitions mounted read-only?
Have you fsck'd your partitions lately?
What are the permissions on './bin/login'?
You might try renaming /etc/pam.d/login temporarily and try that. If you can get in that way, your PAM login file has issues. (Make sure you have a valid root login somewhere else before doing this, so you can fix it.) Suspect shadow password problems, or /etc/passwd corruption, or md5 problems.

--
Kent