apt, dpkg and kernel packages

Hi there,

I've been reading this list for a little while, and it seems to be the
most appropriate forum for my question. I apologise if it has been asked
before, however I can't seem to get my head around the way in which this
is supposed to work. I have looked around using Google, but to be honest
the pages I found just confused me.

I am looking to upgrade the kernel on my machine to deal with the
vulnerability that knocked over the main Debian servers. From what I
understand, a kernel upgrade is something that isn't done automatically by
apt.

Can someone explain how it is that my machine even boots when according
the package manager, there is no kernel image installed?

host:~# dpkg -s kernel-image-2.4.18-bf2.4 |more
Package: kernel-image-2.4.18-bf2.4
Section: base

host:~# uname -a
Linux host 2.4.18-bf2.4 #1 Son Apr 14 09:53:28 CEST 2002 i686 unknown

If someone could give me a pointer to the reason why the commands above
give the output they do, and perhaps a URL to look at or some guidance on
how to go about upgrading the kernel I would appreciate it.

Cheers,

Colin Martin