Re: Switcher's guide for 2.6? [Re: Should I upgrade from 2.4.22 to 2.6.0-test11?]

On Fri, Dec 19, 2003 at 03:08:32AM +0200, Micha Feigin wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 19, 2003 at 06:43:46AM +0800, csj wrote:
> > On 18. December 2003 at 7:19AM +0100,
> > Arnt Karlsen <arnt@c2i.net> wrote:
> >
> > > On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 19:49:10 -0700,
> > > "Monique Y. Herman" <spam@bounceswoosh.org> wrote in message
> > > <[🔎] slrnbu25d6.ugk.spam@home.bounceswoosh.org>:
> >
> > [...]
> > >
> > > ..the truth just changed:  ;-)
> > > finger @finger.kernel.org
> > > [zeus-pub.kernel.org]
> > > The latest stable version of the Linux kernel is:           2.6.0
> >
> > Just confirmed the rumor on slashdot;-).  Would this stable
> > version be as stable as the unstable early days of the 2.4
>
> Last time I checked it, it was quite stable, although you probably
> should give it some time yet unless there is a feature you really want.
>
> > release?  I fear that releasing 2.6 as stable would only
> > "encourage" freesoft developers and the occasional company
> > (e.g. nVidia and its binary-only 3D drivers) to stop supporting
> > 2.4.
> >
> > My main concerns revolve around video and optical storage.  I've
> > read many horror stories about the ide-scsi stuff being "broken"
> > in 2.6.  Is this true?  I've also read that devfs is now
> > deprecated.  In favor of what?
> >

> test11 ran my dvd/cdrw using ide-scsi quite fine do I don't think
> its broken (I don't believe it would live test<n> stage without
> ide-scsi as its a widely used interface.
> As for devfs it does seem that its been deprecated in favor of udev
> (this is from test 11):
>
> Note that devfs has been obsoleted by udev,
> <http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/hotplug/>.
> It has been stripped down to a bare minimum and is only provided for
> legacy installations that use its naming scheme which is
> unfortunately different from the names normal Linux installations
> use.
>
> > Is there a definitive switcher's howto or readme (URI) I should
> > consult?  I'd usually use google for this.  But as the issue's
> > still new, I expect to get lots of false positives (including
> > flamewar threads on the direction of kernel development).

Just saw these two on another list (haven't looked there though so I
don't know the content I'm afraid. They were posted in response to a
question about differences between 2.4 and 2.6)

Joe Pranevich's Wonderful World of Linux 2.6:
http://kniggit.net/wwol26.html

Dave Jones's Halloween Document:
http://www.linux.org.uk/~davej/docs/