Problem with Toshiba 400CS laptop + etherlink 589

I've built a new kernel for my Toshiba 400cs, cutting out a lot of unnecessary junk, whilst making sure everything's in place that I need for the laptop.

Anyhow, after compiling the kernel on my main box, I've ftp'd it over to my laptop and installed it. During startup, the network card's dongle still lights up, but I can't ping anything outside the laptop and there's no link light on my router.

Any help is most appreciated :)

Joe