Re: howto install gnome (in woody)

Chris wrote:

On Mon, 2003-12-15 at 20:54, Joris Huizer wrote:
Hello everybody,

I'd like to get gnome installed but
 apt-get install gnome
replies with:
---
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
E: Couldn't find package gnome
---

What do I have to install to get gnome properly installed? Am I missing apt-get lines ?

Have you discovered aptitude yet?
If you come from knoppix, you will probably not be happy with gnome 1.4
as it is in woody. Gnome 2.4 is backported to woody, you might consider
using that. Use aptitude to choose the components you want to install,
and make sure you have at least gnome-core gnome-session and gnome-panel
selected.

good luck,
Chris

Cool - aptitude works great (I usually use apt-get but aptitude gives a nice overview of the packages ... easier than the apt-cache tool I think) I now successfully installed gnome 1.4 which is fine for now - I'd like to keep the system woody stable at the moment :) (I didn't see where gmc was in aptitude so I got that one with apt-get but..)

thanks,

Joris