Re: Initrd - cramfs image is not being recognized by 2.4.20 kernel

On Wed, 2003-12-17 at 21:07, Keith Goettert wrote:
> I have a kernel built from kernel.org source.  I have included support
> for ramdisk, initial ramdisk, and cramfs.
>
> I built a ram disk image using mkinitrd
>
> I can mount the image and list directories and files in it by using
> mount -o loop rdimage mntpnt
>
> So, it looks like it is functional.  Additionally, when I look at the
> mount I see:
>
> /boot/raidrd.img on /initrd type cramfs (rw,loop=/dev/loop0)
>
> Again, this looks fine.
>
> In my lilo.conf I have placed:
>
> image=/vmlinuz.raid
>         label=RAID.2.4.20
>         read-only
>         append="hde=noprobe hdf=noprobe hdg=noprobe hdh=noprobe"
>         initrd=/boot/raidrd.img
>

> And when I run lilo -v 3 I get:
>

> Boot image: /vmlinuz.raid -> /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-raid
> Device 0x0301: BIOS drive 0x80, 255 heads, 9732 cylinders,
>                63 sectors. Partition offset: 63 sectors.
> Using Volume ID 17E81084 on bios 80
> Setup length is 5 sectors.
> Mapped 2001 sectors.
> Mapping RAM disk /boot/raidrd.img
> Device 0x0301: BIOS drive 0x80, 255 heads, 9732 cylinders,
>                63 sectors. Partition offset: 63 sectors.
> Using Volume ID 17E81084 on bios 80
> RAM disk: 1832 sectors.
> Added RAID.2.4.20 *
>     <dev=0xe0,hd=24,cyl=92,sct=182>
>     "ro root=301 hde=noprobe hdf=noprobe hdg=noprobe hdh=noprobe"
>

> All indications are that Lilo is mapping the rdimage to the proper
> place.
>
> BUT, when I boot, I get:
>

>  ... (lotza stuff)...
> RAMDISK driver initialized: 16 RAM disks of 4096K size 1024 blocksize
> loop: loaded (max 8 devices)
>  ...(lotza stuff) ...
> RAMDISK: Couldn't find valid RAM disk image starting at 0.
> Freeing initrd memory: 916k freed
>

> I have run out of ideas.  Everything appears to be according to the
> initrd, mkinitrd, and lilo man pages.   Could my problem be with
> versions?  I am using the latest lilo (24), a 2.4.20 kernel and
> whatever mkinitrd and mkcramfs came with debian 3.  Is there a flag I
> can set in my lilo.conf file that will cause the kernel to be more
> chatty about why there is no love?

I've had the same experience using cramfs or romfs no matter what
bootloader I used.  I belive somewhere in the docs there is a note about
cramfs not working in ramdisks for the 2.4 or 2.6 kernels.  Anyway I
followed the instructions in Documentation/initrd.txt using ext2 and it
worked like a charm.  Just make sure you statically build ext2 in the
kernel.