Re: soundless in kazaa

On Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 03:11:26PM -0500, Sam Rosenfeld wrote:
> I installed Debian Woody about 6 months ago and to my knowledge have
> not experienced sound since then, with one exception:  In using either
> isapnptools or ALSA a test responded with a sound.  I have tried from
> time to time to resurrect sound so that I could listen to music CDs on
> my CD-Rom etc. but I haven't been able to.  Some friends have suggested
> that I could compile sound without recompiling the kernel, but I
> haven't been able to do so.
>
> A few pieces of data:  I'm using Linux 2.2.20, Woody, Ensoniq
> SoundScape Vivo 90 sound card (which I believe the module sscape.o
> supports), an AMD K6-2/400, 196M ram, 6gig hd.  Also, when
> booting, I get a message that my Ensoniq card is recognized with no
> problems.  Note:  When compiling the new kernel and distro etc, I must
> have also chosen to download binary files, so, of course, I have no
> source files in storage.
>
> I would like to know whether I can reasonably expect to cure my
> soundlessness without recompiling, and, if so, how I can find the
> steps to accomplish that.  And is there some comprehensive source of
> info to set me on the right track to debugging or reconfiguring my
> system to allow sound?

How are you trying to play sound when it doesn't work?  Have you checked
volume levels in the mixer?  When you try to play a CD, does the drive
light flash?

Do you have the CD audio cable connected to your soundcard?  In some
versions of Windows, you can get away without that, as it plays the
sound digitally through the IDE interface.

As your kernel reports that the card is detected, then I don't think
you should have much of a problem getting it working, provided of course
that you supply enough relevant info.  I wouldn't bother upgrading to
2.4 unless you _need_ to - especially as you hardware isn't the most
powerful.

Please don't CC me.  Also _please_ read the following before posting:
Documentation - http://www.debian.org/doc/
FAQ - http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/
Install manual (i386) - http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/install