Re: man files to text editor

On Thu, Dec 18, 2003 at 12:41:41AM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 10:14:54PM +0100, Jan Minar wrote:
> > > Try man xxx | col -b > text-filename
> >
> > This actually should not work, you have to tell man(1) it should send the
> > formatted manpage to stdout, instead of messing with the pager.
>
> This is incorrect; it is intended to work as Lou described, and it does
> work. man(1) checks whether its standard output is a terminal before

Shame on me... I *did* try it, but, by mistake, not on the quick
machine, but on the slow one--so after I waited for too long, I decided
it doesn't work (still I think it didn't work this way always).

> Narrowing the page does work even if man's output is a terminal.

You're talking unstable, ain't you ;-)  At least in man-db
2.3.20-18.woody.4, it doesn't.

Thank you for your insightfulness.