Re: Tarballs, backports... and dist-upgrade?

On Tue, Dec 16, 2003 at 02:10:34AM +0100, Christian Schnobrich wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The topic says it all...
> I'm using woody on all machines here. Ofc, I'm tempted to install
> backports of some software, or sometimes from tarballs.
>
> How will this affect the eventual dist-upgrade once sarge gets released?

I believe that'll depend on the version numbers used by the backports.
If they're numbered by appending something at the end of the woody
version, then they'll be replaced by the sarge version. If they're
numbered by incrementing the version number... the sarge version may not
show up as being "newer", which could get messy.

If you want to be really careful, you could clear out all the unofficial
sources in your sources.list, fire up aptitude and purge everything in
the "obsolete or locally created" section before doing the eventual
dist-upgrade.

As for tarballs, I believe they should all go in the /usr/local tree and
have no bearing whatsoever on apt.

	Cheers!
--
                I was just a boy then, now I'm only a man.