Re: Web server Partitions - swap

On Tue, Dec 16, 2003 at 03:55:27PM -0800, Alvin Oga wrote:
> 30 years later, its easier/cheaper to just add a new stick of memory
> 	- having "some swap" prevents your system from doing a
> 	random self-reboot or hanging forever whenever it runs out
> 	of "virtual memory"

Don't know about Linux, but in Windows on a Desktop PC with 1.5 GB of
Ram, and only 100 mb committed, you'll still see some swap activity.  We
used to bitch at the devs about that: I'm grossly aproximating the
answer but it was something along the lines of being able to make sure
the kernel would be able to handle disasters without panic.

Lots of people on their workstations these days just put 2GB in the
machine and run without swap.  It's actually possible to have too much
swap (with say 8GB or more of ram) -- it slows things down.

Does any of this apply in Linux?