Re: How to shutdown GNOME without mouse

On Tue, Dec 16, 2003 at 09:30:35AM -0800, Gruessle wrote:
| From: panda
| > Gruessle wrote:
| > > I need to shutdown GNOME without mouse
| > > but not the whole system just want to go back
| > > to text based linux window.
| > >
| > > BTW how do I stop the loading of GNOME at the start-up
| >
| > If I understand correctly u want to logout from gnome without mouse
| >
| > try
| > Ctrl Alt Backspace
| >
| > to set the machine to boot without starting X
| >
| > update-rc.d xdm defaults
| >

| Ctrl Alt Backspace just takes me to a login screen for GNOME

Right.  Ctl-Alt-Backspace kills the X server, then the display manager
(gdm) spawns a new one.

| does not take me out all the way to a shell

It will if you started X via 'startx'.  If you have a display manager
installed and running, then you will see the results above.

Press Ctl-Alt-F[123456] to go to one of the 6 virtual consoles that
are initialized at boot time.  Then press Ctl-Alt-F7 to go back to the
X display.

If you don't want X started at all on boot up, then remove the gdm (or
xdm, wdm, or kdm) package.

| (dos prompt)

No (MS-)DOS on Unix!  :-)

-D

--
Pleasant words are a honeycomb,
sweet to the soul and healing to the bones.