make-kpkg kernel-image .. missing modules

Hi I've been trying to recompile my kernel however the list of modules coming out is incomplete..

What i've been doing..

First off I got kernel-source.2.4.20 ..
then i did make menuconfig  and decided on the stuff i want in the kernel..
next i did make-kpkg kernel-image which after a while completed succesfully and generated:
kernel-image-2.4.22_10.00.Custom_i386.deb

I do the usual dpkg -i kernel-image-2.4.22_10.00.Custom_i386.deb

it then gives me the following message: ..

"You are attempting to install a kernel version that is the same as the version you are currently running (version 2.4.22). The modules list is quite likely to have been changed, and the modules dependancy file /lib/modules/2.4.22/modules.dep needs to be rebuilt. It can not be built correctly right now, since the module list for the running kernel are likely to be different from the kernel installed. I am creating a new modules.dep file, but that may not be correct. it shall be regenerated correctly at next reboot. I repeat: you have to reboot in order for the modules file to be created correctly. Until you reboot, it may be impossible to load some modules. Reboot as soon as this install is finished (Do not reboot right not, since you may not be able to boot back up until installation is over, but boot imediately after). I cannot stress that too much. You need to reboot soon. Please hit return to continue"

I read that and thought yes ok, thats fair enough... i had a little look in /lib/modules/2.4.22/
and there's only 1 item in modules.dep which is /lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/arch/i386/kernel/apm.o and the /lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/ folder only has the arch folder in it

I wasn't too concerned about that because i assumed it would rebuild the modules list after i reboot.. like it says in the message above. So i reboot (after updating grub!) :) ..

I select the kernel i just created from the grub menu and the machine then boots.. when type lsmod it only lists "apm" and when i look at the  /lib/modules/2.4.22/  folder absolutely nothing has changed since before i rebooted!

I'm assuming there is a bug and that it should be rebuilding the modules list itself .. however Is there anyway i can rebuild the modules list myself ? or perhapse build the modules list seperately (i tried make-kpkg modules-image, but it just said done and didnt generate anything)

Thanks for your any help you can give!! :)

-Rich