Re: Redhat to Debian conversion

Hello

Gruessle (<debian@orces.com>) wrote:

> I am new to Linux and for 2 1/2 days I been trying to install Debian.
> Well I have the very basics installed but that is really all I got.
>
> Now I have Redhat and that is easy to install.
> Somewhere I read that it is posible to convert a Redhat install to
> Debian.
>
> I am wondering if that is maybe easyer then installing Debian.

No, you cannot "convert" a RedHat installation into a Debian
installation. Both systems work differently and for example do not use
the same system for software package installation. You can however use
parts of the Red Hat configuration with Debian. If you have Red Hat
installed, save the /etc directory, then format your linux partitions
and install Debian. Some files probably can be used diretly (like the
XFree configuration files), others may be helpful because they contain
useful information (like the driver modules you need to load for your
hardware, e.g. sound and network cards).

As you are new to Linux, installing Debian can be quite hard, and you
should go to the Debian website and take a look at the documentation
there, especially the installation manual and the APT howto. Also,
during the installation, /read/ what the installation program tells
you. For example, you can install using Kernel 2.4.18, which you
probably want to do, but 2.2.20 is default. The installation program
can tell you how to use another Kernel.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

--