Re: My Debian box can't connect Internet

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your advice.

On Mon, 2003-12-15 at 04:13, Paul Johnson wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 14, 2003 at 11:54:22PM +0800, Stephen Liu wrote:
> > # cat /etc/resolv.conf
> > search domain.com\000
> > nameserver 192.168.2.1
>
> Ah ha!  You might try adding a nameserver on the outside or make sure
> that nameserver is able to get a connection to the outside world.

That is the original 'resolv.conf' file.  I have not touched it and also
I was not allowed to alter this file even as ROOT.  This was very
strange to me.  The said file can be opened with a Text editor, 'nano'
or 'kedit', and editing also allowed.  'Saving changes' to the file was
not allowed.  You can save the file but it only retains its original
content.

If no solution found then I think I have to make another clean
installation of Debian 3.0 again.  I will use net-installation.  I am
connecting to broadband of 3MB bandwidth.  If it is not installing from
source code, like Gentoo 1.4, the download time won't be long and I can
have the maybe uptodate packages.

B.R.
Stephen