Re: Copy all desktop settings for a new user

Monique Y. Herman wrote:

> On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 at 09:41 GMT, Philipp Schulte penned:
> > I would like to create a role-account, configure everything for this
> > account and copy all those settings everytime a new user is created.
> > I know about /etc/skel but I am not sure if it's possible to use this
> > because some paths are absolute in configuration files.
>
> Just curious -- what do you mean by this?  Even if the default files in
> there have absolute paths, you could just edit them ...

Sure I could edit them, but that's not the point. It would be a
nightmare to administer if you have to support many users and many
different applications.

Just for example:

$ grep -r phil .g* | wc -l
489

".g*" catches most of the gnome-application's files. And that's just a
part of it. No OpenOffcie, no Firebird, no Thunderbird yet. And what
if some app chooses to put it's config in some kind of DB and not a
plain-text file? No, this can't be the way.
Phil