Re: PDF spec (Was: Re: ooh! debian jewelry)

On Saturday 13 December 2003 10:11 pm, Nunya wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 13, 2003 at 10:08:07PM -0600, Terry Hancock wrote:
> > It would be conceivable to call PDF 4 an open standard, since
> > Ghostscript can already handle it.  But we really ought to make
> > a distinction, since the newer versions are incompatible.
>
> Many PDFs I get don't display correctly in gv.

Yes.  I have the same problem.

I'm not sure whether this means they 1) meet the later standard,
2) are non-compliant with the standard as published (but are
compatible with the de-facto "it looks okay in acroread"
standard), or if the problem is actually 3) bugs in GV making
it not meet the standard it was written to.

I'm inclined to think it's mostly the #1.  PDF has evolved, and
acroread 5.x supports a lot of bells and whistles that I know
GV is not prepared for.  I attended media production classes
for staff at Caltech in which making maximum use of these
PDF 5 features was *really* pushed hard (sometime last year).
No doubt they had also received some serious direct
marketing, and were just passing it on.

(On the other hand, they also have a program
pushing a TeX + XML pipeline for publishing theses and
dissertations, which I think is a move in the right direction).

Cheers,
Terry