Re: make-kpkg and kernel patches

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003, Ross Boylan wrote:

> I am trying to apply kernel patches with make-kpkg, but am running into
> difficulties, particularly on repeated runs.

[...]

> START applying patch "Debian Logo"

[...]

There was a discussion regarding the kernel-debian-logo-patch before. Here
is what I found out (my original mail to debian-user):

[...]

Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 07:25:32 +0200
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: debian-pkg kernel-patch debianlogo was Re: (half-solved) Re: Compiling kernel with patches

On Sun, 06 Jul 2003, Christophe Courtois wrote:

Hi all,

late but ... I tried to install the debian package called
kernel-patch-debianlogo and after I searched the archives for a solution to
the install problems I found your email. Thanx!

> - I had a PATCH_KERNEL=YES in my compilation script, instead of
> PATCH_THE_KERNEL
> - Anyway, it did not work anymore, whatever the value of --added-patches
> on the command line.
> - The debianlogo patch can be applied and un-applied without any problem,
> and it compiles. (For some unknown reason, sometimes it failed, when
> applying or unapplying... I had to re-untar the source to reverse the
> patch)
>  - The 'right' solution is to add 'patch_the_kernel=YES' in
> /etc/kernel-pkg.conf. Now the patch is automatically unapplied in a
> 'make-kpkg clean', and applied when compiling.

O.K., after a lot of testing I found out how to install a kernel-patch the
right way.
Here is what I did:

install the kernel-source-2.2.20.tar.bz2
install the kernel-patch-debianlogo
tar xvfj kernel-source-2.2.20.tar.bz2
ln -s /usr/src/kernel-source-2.2.20/ /usr/src/linux
cd /usr/src/linux

Regrading man make-kpkg and /usr/share/doc/kernel-source-2.2.20/debian.README.gz
you have to add "patch_the_kernel=YES" in /etc/kernel-pkg.conf

Now run:

fakeroot make-kpkg --revision=3:custom.1.0 --config=menuconfig kernel_image

and the patch will be included.

>  The real question for me is why '--added-patches=debianlogo' is not
> enough. Is it some typo too obvious to be seen ?

The --added-patches option is set to give you the chance to choose a
special/single patch if there are existing more of them

[...]

Oliver
--
... don't touch the bang bang fruit