Re: only root able to play music cds? (2nd try)

Hello

michelle (<auto_delete_all_incoming@dynodonalies.com>) wrote:

> I have things set up so that members of the audio group can use the
> sound cards. Users can mount and unmount cds. But only root can play
> music off the cd. Not even members of the disk and audio groups can do
> that.
>
> How do I fix this so members of audio can use cd player apps (playing
> cds from alsaplayer in particular)?

I already wrote an answer to your last question, but here it is again:

Do you use ide-scsi emulation for your cdrom drives? If yes, add the
users to the cdrom group. Also, check the permissions of /dev/sg*. Some
programs (like the audiocd plugin for konqueror) use these devices,
changing ownership from root.root to root.cdrom and making them
read-writable for the group may help. If you don't use ide-scsi
emulation, better change ownership for the cdrom device files from
root.disk to root.cdrom instead adding users to the disk group. Members
of the disk group have full write access to all harddisks.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

--
Andreas Janssen