remote GNOME session over ssh fails

I start a local X session and run a GNOME session on another machine:

  X &
  xterm -display :0 -e ssh -X -f remotehost gnome-session

For awhile this worked - now it's mysteriously not working. I just get the blank X root window, and nothing else happens.

However, if I drop the -f parameter for ssh, it works:

  X &
  xterm -display :0 -e ssh -X remotehost gnome-session

...but I have an ugly xterm window on my display - disconcerting for non-techie users, who often close the window and thus end the GNOME session altogether.

any ideas what might be going on?