tetex in unstable, tcrm1000 not found

Greetings-

I was getting the error message:

font tcrm1000 not found, leaving blank

when creating a pdf file from LaTeX using the following sequence:

latex microcultures
dvipdf microcultures

After some digging around, I found that the problem was that dvipdf
attempted to run mf to create the font, but the directory into which it
was to be put (/var/spool/texmf/tfm/jknappen/tc/) was not writeable by
normal users. This caused dvipdf to fail without (much) information,
although dvips was significantly more verbose.

I post this mostly so others with similar problems can save a little of
their hair, and also to ask if this constitutes a "bug" I should report.

Thanks-
Andy

clists@perrin.socsci.unc.edu * andrew_perrin (at) unc.edu