Re: locales and coding systems

Colin,

Thanks for the clarification of some of the jargon. I suspected I knew
what the terms meant, but when confronted with a complex situation in
which many terms are shakey, guessing won't do.

> > Suspecting locales needs a different version of glibc, and knowing
> > that one can install multiple versions of glibc, I try:
>
> One cannot install multiple versions of glibc, at least not using the
> Debian package management system.

Aha! However, it's legit as far as linux is concerned, isn't it? I
believe I've done this before successfully.

> What does 'dpkg -l libc6 locales' say?

ii  libc6          2.2.5-11.2     GNU C Library: Shared libraries and Timezone
in  locales        <none>         (no description available)

Locales for stable depends on glibc-2.2.5-11.5. How I managed to end
up with libc6-2.2.5-11.2 escapes me, but that's what I have.

I may have messed things up when trying to install an untested
application (Scribus) that may have required a newer version of
libc6. When I get back to Scribus installation, I may be lucky and be
able to create a symlink to 2.2.5-11.5 for it, but if that fails, I
suppose I'll have to download and compile source for the newer libc6
and use it in parallel with the 2.2.5-11.5 version.

> > $ sudo aptitude install glibc=2.2.5
> > Unable to find version "2.2.5" for the package "glibc"
>
> You can't invent version numbers and expect them to work! :) Also, it's
> "libc6" rather than "glibc".

Sorry about the imaginary version number ;-). With the right name and
number in hand, I just now successfully installed libc6-2.2.5-11.5,
and then, not surprisingly, was able to install locales-2.2.5-11.5 as
well.

I configured locales with en-US.utf-8, but when I next ran $ sudo
locale, all I get for LANG is LANG=POSIX. I suspect I need to reboot
for locale to be reset. In any case, the command $ sudo dpkg -l
locales now reports that locales is installed.

I assume I must reboot in order to test if enUS/utf-8 is now
default. I'm optimistic it will be. Thanks for the help.

Haines Brown