Re: Quickie question before reinstall

Hello

Paul Schwartz (<brpms@earthlink.net>) wrote:

> I found reference to the other installation kernel flavors on the
> Woody CD.
>
> Is there a way to install another one of those kernels [vanilla,
> bf2.4] without doing a reinstall?  Does anyone know which is likely to
> include the agpgart module that supports the i810 video chipset?

You can simply use apt-get to install additional kernel packages. The
kernel you are running will not be replaced unless you install a newer
package of the same kernel (and in that case you will be asked if you
really want to continue). Try one of the 2.4.18 images. The bf2.4 may
be fine for installation, but the other packages are probably better
for a running system. Try

apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.18-1-686/k7/k6/586, depending or your
processor type. The 2.4.18 images except the bf Kernel use an initrd so
you will have to configure your bootloader properly, otherwise you
cannot boot with that Kernel.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

--