Re: debian install over ssh?

on Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 02:40:24PM -0800, Vineet Kumar (vineet@doorstop.net) wrote:
> * Einstein9112@yahoo.com (Einstein9112@yahoo.com) [031209 14:19]:
> > Hi, here's a challenge that I'm trying to do.
> >
> > I have an old remote P2 box that has no monitor, mouse, or keyboard
> > attached. It currently has sid installed, and I can access it through
> > ssh. What I'd like to do is install debian (say, Woody or Sarge) onto
> > another partition/harddrive on the same machine, and have it running ssh
> > so that I have access when I reboot.
>
> You'll want to do a "chroot install".  It's really quite easy.  Try
> googling for "chroot install" -- I think Karsten has written up some
> good directions.

They've also been incorporated into the standard Debian Installation
Manual, using debootstrap, rather than a base image as I generally
operate.

Moreover, there's even a remote chroot install method which has been
documented by Erik Jacobson at

    http://trilldev.sourceforge.net/files/remotedeb.html

Peace.

    Ceterum censeo, Caldera delenda est.