Re: Virtual PC 5.2

Adelle L. Hartley wrote:

I am trying to install Debian on Virtual PC 5.2 (on a wintel box)

The first part of the install works fine, but I am having trouble
getting X-Windows to work.  I have edited the XF86Config file
to use the s3 driver, but I think I have made a mistake somewhere.

The output from startx (or at least the last part of the output)
is:

   (II) S3VIRGE: driver (version 1.6.13) for S3 ViRGE chipsets: virge,
86C3
          virge vx, 86C988, virge dx, virge gx, 86C375, 86C385, virge
gx2,
          86C357, virge mx, 86C260, virge mx+, 86C280, trio 3d, 86C365,
          trio 3d/2x, 86C362, 86C368
   (--) Assigning device section with no busID to primary device
   (EE) No devices detected.

   Fatal server error:
   no screens found

I'm unfamiliar with VirtualPC (expecially on wintel), but I suspect it handles video a bit like VMWare does. If so, it's probably "converting" whatever physical video card you have (in this case the Virge) into a specific "virtual" video card. This way, the VirtualPC itself doesn't have to know about umpteen different video cards; it only has to know about one. So instead of using the "s3" driver, you'd want to use the "virtualVid" (or whatever it might be called) driver.

But this is just a guess.

--
Kent