Re: IntelliMouse Explorer (USB Compatible)

> I decided trying to get help on this list after having read many articles
> found with google and having tried a lot of different entries in the
> /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 and /etc/gpm.conf files - none of which worked.
>
> My computer is a PowerBook G3 ("pismo").
> I run 'woody' (2.4.18-newpmac).
>
> The built-in touchpad runs very well (with button2 mapped on F11 and
button2
> mapped on F12), but I cannot get my external USB mouse to work properly.
> Whatever I try, the following happens:
>
> -up/down movements of the mouse are not recognized.
> -left/right movements of the mouse result in up/down movements of the
> pointer.
> -clicking the left and right buttons moves the cursor just a little to the
> right.
> -clicking the wheel (=middle button) moves the curser a little faster to
the
> right.
>
> (These things happen BOTH in X and in the text console (tty1...tty6).
>
> my current configuration is:
>
> /etc/gpm.conf
> device=/dev/input/mice
> responsiveness=
> repeat_type=ms3
> type=ps2
> append=""
> sample_rate=
>
> /etx/X11/XF86Config-4
> Section "InputDevice"
> Identifier"Configured Mouse"
> Driver"mouse"
> Option"CorePointer"
> Option"Device""/dev/input/mice"
> Option"Protocol""ImPS/2"
> Option"Emulate3Buttons""true"
> Option"ZAxisMapping""4 5"
> EndSection
>
> There seems to be someome with a similar problem:
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2002/debian-user-200212/msg04475.html
>
> I did not have this problem when I had the 2.2 kernel installed - but
> several other things didn't work then; besides -as far as i understood-
the 2.4
> kernel is recommended for the pismo.
>
> Thank you for reading - your help is greatly appreciated!
>
> -Sebastian
Hi Sebastian

I run a G4 and my XF86Config-4 Mouse section is identical to yours but
I'm sure I read somewhere that you don't need gpm and that may be part
of your problem. I don't have it installed.

You could try uninstalling gpm and see whether that helps.  If
not, I suggest you post to debian-powerpc@lists.debian.org -
there are some knowledgeable folks there ;)

HTH

Clive
--- --- ---

Craig, lsmod says the following - i hope this allows further suggestions.
soundcore               4840   0  (autoclean)
pcmcia_core            43376   0
tap0                    3628   1  (autoclean)
rtc                     1792   0  (autoclean)

Hi Clive, thanks for your suggestion. uninstalling (and re-installing) gpm
did not solve the problem. For some reason, I believe that knowing what
exactly is different between the 2.2 and the 2.4 kernel as far as mouse options and
usb functionality would be the key to a possible solution or workaround
---Seb.