Re: Attempt to access beyond end of device/Raid linear and 1

On Mon, 8 Dec 2003, Larry W.Irwin Sr. wrote:

>   I recently set up two 9 gig scsi drives on my machine. Discovered
> that an attempt to copy data from one array to another results in
> "I/O error. Attempt to access beyond end of device". Data copies
> to/from either raid array to/from a non-raid partition work properly.

the problem is you have a misconfigured raid system

you can either have  a raid system with

diskA + diskB  (raid-level == linear )
   or
diskA mirrored to diskB ( raid-level == 1 )

>   Googling found references to a similar problem in the 2.2 kernels
> but not the 2.4 series.
>
> Running Debian Woody and the mdadm daemon.
>
> ------------------/etc/raidtab---------------------------------
> raiddev /dev/md0
>     raid-level			linear

... okay ..  but .. this just combines sda2 + sdb2 as "one disk"

>     nr-raid-disks		2
>     chunk-size			32
>     persistent-superblock	1
>     device			/dev/sda2
>     raid-disk			0
>     device			/dev/sdb2
>     raid-disk			1
>
> raiddev /dev/md1
>     raid-level			1
>     nr-raid-disks		2
>     nr-spare-disks		1
>     chunk-size			32
>     persistent-superblock	1
>     device			/dev/sda1
>     raid-disk			0
>     device			/dev/sdb1
>     raid-disk			1
>     device			/dev/hda11
>     spare-disk			0

the above says you have the same data on sda1 and sdb1  and hda11

if any of the partitions are not exactly the same sizes ( same number of
cylinders )  ... you're dead ..

	- dont forget that some disk bios mapps 16 heads into 255 heads
	and that makes things nice and messy

c ya
alvin

-- too much data for your "logs" ... nice to see but ...
	it'd be better if you highlighted what you thought was bad
	like you did in fstab