Re: Why should non-root users have a password?

Tom <tb.31123.nospam@comcast.net> writes:

> If I have a firewall, and I'm the only person who uses my computer, do I
> really have to have a password on my non-root account?
>
> I know the answer is "yes" but -- why?  They can't do anything to my
> machine anyway, except use it.  And due to the firewall that never
> happens anyway.

What I do on my machines is to have a password but to configure GDM
and login not to require a password for local logins. So that anyone
sitting at my computer could log in without a password, but they
couldn't do that over ssh.

Bijan
--
Bijan Soleymani <bijan@psq.com>