Housecleaning

Now that I have in my closet one linux (Sun IPX, debian 3.0), one netbsd (DEC 5000/25, netbsd 1.6.1), and one solaris (Sun SS20, Solaris 9) box, I start wondering about keeping everybody playing nice with each other. For instance, take /etc/hosts: should I use NIS/YP so I have to change only one file? What about LDAP? Or, should I physically copy the file in case the machine hosting the main file is down? Or, should I have one machine as the internal DNS and go from there (probably this one can be done independently from the above issue ;)?

How about sharing files between then? Since the SS20/Sol9 box has the largest HD, should I just mount its /home in the other machines? If so, NFS is the way or I can use another approach... including perhaps even samba so I can mount the very same partition in the PCs without having another service running?

Decisions... decisions...