Re: is symlink "linu" necessary while compiling new kernel?

Markku Kellberg wrote:
sön 2003-12-07 klockan 00.11 skrev H. S.:

Hi,

While doing a google search to read pages on who to compile a new Linux kernel the Debian way, I see some of them mentioning that I should first delete a symlink "linux" in /usr/src if it exists before I untar and unzip a download kernel file, and then recreate it. Some pages do not suggest this. Is this a step crucial?

This is a good document to read when building your first Debian kernel:

http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/kernel-pkg.html.en

/Markku Kellberg

Thanks. I did read it. But I couldn't find where it says why I *should* have that link. I do see why I shouldn't leave it there though. If it does mention ... well, maybe it was late, I was tired with compiling the kernel multiple times or a mixture of all the fact and I missed tha info :)

But as the other poster has suggested, some third party programs may need that link.

regards,
->HS

--
(Remove all underscores,_if any_, from my email address to get the correct one. Apologies for the inconvenience, but this is to reduce spam.)