Re: is symlink "linu" necessary while compiling new kernel?

"H. S." <greatexcalibur@yahoo.com> writes:

> I guess I am missing something here. I have a file
> kernel-source-2.4.22.tar.bz2 in /usr/src, and when I do:
> {src}> tar -jtf kernel-source-2.4.22.tar.bz2
>
> I get the listing as:
> {src}> tar -jtf kernel-source-2.4.22.tar.bz2
> kernel-source-2.4.22/
> kernel-source-2.4.22/COPYING
> kernel-source-2.4.22/CREDITS

In that case it wouldn't be necessary. However, if you were to get the
vanilla Linux source, the directory is just called "linux".

Also, you would still have to rm the "linux" link before making the new
link, since if you have a symlink to a directory called "linux" and to
for example:

$ ln -sf kernel-source-2.4.22 linux

You would create a link called kernel-source-2.4.22 in the directory
linked to by "linux".

--
Björn Lindström <bkhl@elektrubadur.se
http://bkhl.elektrubadur.se/