Re: is symlink "linu" necessary while compiling new kernel?

H. S. wrote:
Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra wrote:

Em Sat, 06 Dec 2003 18:11:13 -0500, H. S. escreveu:

some of them mentioning that I should first
delete a symlink "linux" in /usr/src if it exists before I untar and unzip
a download kernel file, and then recreate it. Some pages do not suggest
this. Is this a step crucial?

[...]

clean, then menuconfig, then make step). I don't have the linux link. Will this be a problem?

    If it is not there, why should you delete it?!?

As I wrote above, some instructions suggest deleting it and recreating it to my new kernel directory. So if I do not have it, I was wondering if I should create it (of course I cannot "re"create it).

In any case, I was also expecting someone who says I *should* have that link to also be able to give a reason why.

regards,
->HS

To compile the kernel itself, it is unnecessary, but some third-party modules expect the source to be in /usr/src/linux in order to compile.