Re: fetchmail problem (maybe bug)

Es geschah am Samstag, 6. Dezember 2003 04:49 als Marc Wilson schrieb:
> On Fri, Dec 05, 2003 at 08:51:37AM -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > > I'm using fetchmail 5.9.11-6.2 from woody since a while without any
> > > problems, but now mail retrieval fails with the following error
> > > messages:
> > >
> > > 	fetchmail: POP3> RETR 1
> > > 	fetchmail: POP3< -ERR cannot open disk file error 2
> > > 	fetchmail: cannot open disk file error 2
> > > 	fetchmail: POP3> QUIT
> > > 	fetchmail: POP3< +OK POP3 server closing connection
> > > 	fetchmail: client/server protocol error while fetching from
> > > mail.epost.de
> >
> > In this case, malformed headers in some spam is rejected by your local
> > MTA.  The result is that messages aren't delivered.
>
> Uh, no, if you'll note from the direction of the arrows (and the OP's later
> message where he telnet's to the POPd), the error about the disk file is
> coming from the POP server, and has nothing to do with the local MTA or
> fetchmail itself.

Exactly, when I connect via telnet I can list all emails without a problem,
but when I try get (RETR) one of the erroneous emails, the server just
replies with the following single line

	 -ERR cannot open disk file error

So no single byte of this email is transmitted and this has really nothing to
do with fetchmail, BUT the bug regarding fetchmail IMO is, that it doesn't
act like my other email clients, just ignoring this error while RETR one of
those erroneous emails and trying to proceed to RETR the next email in the
list to fetch those emails that are actually downloadable, and this has
absolutely nothing to do with my local MTA; fetchmail just dies with the
first error message trying to download one of the erroneous emails.

Or do you think this an appropriate behaviour?

Best regards
Chrisian